Welcome to Caliann's blog

I love the outdoors, the beach, gardening, family get-to-gethers! This is a spot hopefully for anyone who is interested in giving me pointers on being a better gardener as I'm a beginner. Mostly learning from reading other garden blogs I'm finally going to give my vegetable garden a try.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Rainy day today...is this sunny California?

Its a rainy day today in the Central California valley. We had tremendous wind this last week then a weather system that brought us rain. No complaining here about the rain, but please don't bring the Wind! We even had a couple of tornados down in southern Calif. I know all our gardens could use the wet rain. Yippee, I don't have to water today!
My first Sunflower. These aren't tall guy's. I'm glad I planted the medium height one's, cause the gail force winds we just had would have knocked the tall ones completely over.
It looks like I have purple dirt. It's just the way the sun/cloudy light came through the lens I guess. This is my spinach. I'm learning that this is probably what it looks like when it "bolts". We've had some pretty hot weather and I'm afraid the spinach time is up. I'll pull it up and harvest the leaves and plant bush beans in it's place. I've been cutting spinach leaves for a while now and using in some great salads.
One more view of the spinach with the red and yellow onions. I hope my onions get a little bigger, they just seem a little slow in getting fatter at the bulb. They don't get a full day of direct sunlight so that is probably the cause. My neighbors are huge and falling over already, and she has them in direct sunlight all day long.

No comments:

MS. POODIE

MS. POODIE